Monday, December 17, 2012

The 13th Picture in My Phone

           I was walking through the local Winn-Dixie, strolling under the fluorescent lights stuck to the ceiling, when I saw it. I never knew an average day would turn so special. I had woken up that Sunday morning, the bright sun painting my face through my open window. The sounds of lawn-mowers growling and leaf-blowers buzzing rung in my ears. The scent of fresh-cut grass swiftly flew in and tickled my nose. I got up out of bed, just like any normal day. After a short journey to my kitchen, I realized there was no food in sight.
            "Mom, why don't we ever have food?" I whined.
            "Are you kidding me? We always have food!" My mom's voice drowned out as my mind drifted away. I was so hungry, I could smell the Winn-Dixie, it's freshly-baked breads and sandwiches drifting out and almost screaming my name.
             I found myself walking into Winn-Dixie fifiteen minutes later. I started loading my cart with every food in sight. Then I saw it.
            I did a double-take. Then another one. I could not believe my eyes. Losing my breath, I quickly pulled out my phone in excitement as my brain registered what sat before me. Snapping a picture, I quickly sent it to my friend Brittany. Only she would understand. Within seconds, she replied: "OMG WTH WHERE ARE YOU?!?". I promptly responded, "Winn-Dixie."
             Standing back, I gazed longingly at the red and blue treasure in front of me. I had searched low and high for these babies for months, in every store known to man. What sat in front of me was the epitome of my childhood. Kool-aid bursts.

No comments:

Post a Comment